February 3, 2021
Dear Rowe families,
First graders spent much of January writing persuasive letters. I have received a number of requests for our school such as new playground equipment, a school swimming pool, longer recesses, etc. One of the most important parts of writing these letters is persuading the recipient with a sufficient number of reasons why a change should occur. It is amazing to see what six and seven-year-olds come up with! Kindergarten children have been working on writing true stories from their lives and will begin non-fiction work after the break. Our fully remote students continue to follow the Calvert curriculum which is aligned with the same national standards but may be approached in a different order.
Parent/Teacher Conferences will be held this year beginning in late February and going through the month of March. Individual teachers set up their own appointments, so the window of time when they are held is broad. Learning Profiles will go home on Thursday, February 11th for Cohort 1 and Friday, February 12th for Cohort 2, just before the winter break.
Our food drive with YHS Interact Club for the benefit of the Yarmouth Food pantry began Monday, February 1st. We will be collecting food until Friday, February 12th. Thanks in advance for any donations you are able to make. We have two large bins in the atrium where students can place their donations.
If you have a child who will be five on or before October 15, 2021, please call Rowe School (846-3771) beginning on March 1st to register your child for Kindergarten for the fall of 2021.
(If you have friends or neighbors who have a potential 2021-2022 kindergartener, please remind them to give us a call, too!)
iPad use and agreements
Here is a link to our Rowe technology agreements. This is a great time of year to review these guidelines with your child. Rowe iPad agreements
Cold weather gear
Please continue to send in snow pants, boots, hats, mittens, and gloves. Whether we have snow on the ground or not, we encourage the children to dress warmly. They can always leave unneeded items in their backpacks if the day warms up and they don’t need all of it. Thank you for your help!
· PTO Co-Chair – Would people describe you as approachable, organized, and communicative? The PTO is looking for a co-president for the next school year, 2021-2022. The position is an excellent and fun way to get involved in the schools and is an amazing resume and skill builder. You'd be helping to run a small non-profit working with all K-8 principals and administrative assistants, 30+ board members, and committee chairs, teachers, and all K-8 parents and students. You won’t be leading solo. You’ll have a co-chair, a solid leadership team, and myself if questions pop up. If you have even a bit of interest (with or without reservations), let's at least talk! You can contact me, Christy, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
· Hannaford Gift Cards – Next load is Tuesday, Feb 9 by noon. Forms will be sent home. Thank you for participating in this free-to-you fundraiser!
· Online Directory – We anticipate receiving opt-in family information from the schools in early March and hope to have an online directory available mid-March. We’re determining the feasibility of offering a printed directory this late in the school year. We will let you know when the no-charge online directory is available and how to access it.
· PTO Meeting – Please feel free to join us at our next meeting on Thursday, Feb 25, 4 pm. Meeting log in information: ID-820 0158 5276, Passcode-173939. Join Zoom Meeting: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/82001585276?pwd=UDV4UG9VaXhTbzdSbi9XL3FFV0pDUT09
· PTO Enrichments – You can view a growing list of enrichments we’ve been able to provide through your donations. Thank you, parents!
· Questions can be sent to Christy Hayashida and Jessica Raimy at email@example.com
Dates to note:
Monday, February 15th- Friday, February 19th- Winter break, No School
Thursday, February 25th - PTO meeting on Zoom, 4:00-5:00 (see meeting link above)
Monday, March 1st - Kindergarten registration begins
As always, thank you for your on-going support and partnership as we navigate these challenging times. We recognize that this year has been difficult for so many families. If you are having issues with any aspect of the remote work, please reach out to us. Many of you have already done so. Our teachers are working hard to make the remote work as seamless as possible. Thanks for placing your child’s education at the top of your priority list.
Susan Lobel, Principal