Welcome to Yarmouth Schools
Yarmouth Schools serve just over 1600 students in kindergarten through Grade 12 in the beautiful New England town of Yarmouth, Maine. Located ten miles north of Portland, Maine’s largest city, and bordered to the east by the Atlantic Ocean, Yarmouth is one of the more picturesque, yet accessible, communities north of Boston. Performance indicators of every type point to the Yarmouth schools being among the finest in New England, both on the academic scale and in terms of our co-curricular and community service offerings. Highly qualified staff, motivated students, and engaged parents are our greatest resources, complemented by significant instructional technology, community investment in education, and well-maintained, updated facilities. Our mission, “Empowering all students to create fulfilling lives in a changing world” directs our work each day, and we strive to send our graduates into the world ready to learn, work, and contribute positively in a dynamic society. For more information about our schools, please browse our website, or call 207.846.5586.
Mission and Core Values Statements
In 2015, the school department rededicated itself to the following Mission: “Empowering All Students to Create Fulfilling Lives in a Changing World”
At the same time, a list of Core Values and Beliefs About Learning were adopted:
- Integrity People with integrity are honest, sincere, trustworthy, ethical, loyal and fair.
- Responsibility Responsible people know, understand, consider and accept the impact and consequences of their personal actions and decisions.
- Perseverance People who persevere are able to work toward their goals in spite of difficulties, obstacles, or discouragement.
- Respect Respectful people recognize and appreciate diversity in ideas and people.
- Compassion Compassionate people show concern for the well-being of themselves, others and the environment.
- The Pursuit of Excellence People who pursue excellence seek to improve and give their best effort consistently.
Our Beliefs about Learning
The best learning occurs . . .
- when positive relationships form the foundation for learning;
- when students engage in high-level learning and access appropriate support;
- when students have an active role in their learning and in the school community;
- in a culture of collaboration;
- when students and teachers extend their learning beyond the school;
- in an environment of critical thinking, creativity, and innovation;
- when students and staff are emotionally and physically safe.
Portrait of a Graduate
Yarmouth High School graduates will:
- Communicate effectively;
- Exhibit personal responsibility, civic engagement, and global awareness;
- Work independently and collaboratively;
- Demonstrate critical, creative, and innovative thinking;
- Develop understanding through inquiry, research, and synthesis.