February 14, 2020
Dear HMS Families,
As work on the renovation begins over the February break, we want to share several reminders about upcoming changes at HMS:
1. The bike/ped path leading from West Elm Street to the Elementary School will be closed throughout the renovation project.The Police Department will be moving the crossing guard from the current location on West Elm up to the intersection with McCartney Street to assist students headed to and from YES and HMS. Please review this information with your child(ren) if necessary.
2. Informal pathways leading from adjoining neighborhoods to HMS will be impeded by fencing. Pedestrians will be able to walk along the outside of the fencing. This will add a bit of extra time to the walk. The fencing will be removed once the construction is completed.
3. HMS will lose parking spaces.The HMS parking lot closest to YES will be used as a staging area for construction vehicles and materials. Staff members and visitors will not be able to use that lot. Most of the uppermost parking lot closest to Hillside Street will also be gated and open only for construction vehicles and equipment. We are working on plans to adjust scheduling of our larger events in order to alleviate some of the issues with parking. We understand that this temporary inconvenience will be challenging.
4. Fifth grade students will be unable to access the 5th grade playground after the February break. We will have an area available at the back of the school (outside of the art room) for 5th grade students who want to have a bit of time outside before their first class. Students will be able to engage in a few activities in that area,and will have access to the larger playground (outside of the gym) for the other recess opportunities during the day. We shared specific information with parents of our 5th grade students about accessing this space, and the 5th grade team is reviewing this information with their students.
5. Work on the floor in the 5th grade hall will be completed over the February break. The tiles about halfway up the hallway (from the entrance by the 5th grade playground) need to be removed. We'll have some mats to cover the concrete floor in that area.
Thanks very much-
Joan Adler and Tom McDowell
HMS Administrative Team